Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, June 24, 2010

missions...missionaries..

Missions are something that are a choice.


It honestly drives me insane when you hear that a missionary is going on a mission because parents are making them.

I believe that missions are something you do if you choose to. I am, by all means, FOR missions...I just think it is so ridiculous when parents push their kids to go on missions.

First of all, if a boy/girl goes on a mission because the parents are pushing them, they clearly are going for the wrong reasons.

Second, if it is not by THEIR choice, they will not learn what they are supposed to or get anything out of it.

If forced, they are going to get on in the mission field and have no clue what they are doing or why they are there. It would be obvious that they should not be there. They would be there for the wrong reasons...not for them. It would be for their mom/dad..whatever.

THEY won't learn anything, nor will the people they are trying to teach because they are not in it spiritually... make sense?


We are taught from primary that boys are supposed to go on missions (keyword being SUPPOSED), girls can if they choose. We are also taught about CHOICE. It is the boys choice if he wants to go on a mission.

Parents should have no say in it. Well, I mean they should...but they should never ever force one to go on a mission.

I hear all the time from people that didn't go on a mission that regret it. Of course that happens but it is a mistake you learn from. Live and learn..right? Anyways, kids need to live and learn, too. Parents need to realize that making big decisions for their kids is never going to help them. They need to learn from their mistakes, just like everyone else.

I know that parents think they are "helping" their child, but they aren't. The more you push things on them or make decisions for them, the more they rebel and want to learn for themselves.

In my school, we have a thing that says "you can't avoid a don't". It is about being more positive and avoiding "don't". When you grow up, all you hear is "don't touch that" or "don't go in the road" or "don't do that". Automatically, your brain says "do". You want to know WHY. You want to know what is going to happen if you really do that. Instead, I think parents should be like "stay out of the road because if a car comes it will smash you". Not those exact words. Just avoid saying "don't" and explain to them WHY they are not supposed to do that. If not, they want to know why so they will figure it out themselves.

Anyway, I got off track..


I just hate when parents push things on their kids. Let them live their own lives.

4 comments:

chlocrosby said...

I agree. And I think I would totally tell my kids "don't go in the road because if a car comes it will smash you" ... in those words.

-Lexa

PEG said...

When you are taught by your parents that you should be going on a mission and prepared by the teachings your parents help teach you, then there is never a question whether or not a person wants to go. They have prepared for their whole lives. Are you having a bad day or something? This is not like you! Who are you talking to? You see the growth a mission gives a person, whether or not they are great missionaries..it prepares them for
the real world.
What is sad is when the parents aren't supportive when a child wants to serve.

Jessica said...

yeah, that is sad too. it's just annoying when people DON'T want to go and parents make them. yes, they have prepared and are taught that but some people just don't want to go. support those people too.

no, i'm not having a bad day. i'm just expressing opionions.

by: Kim said...

This subject came up yesterday when Jessica and I were driving in St George. We had a little discussion about it and she decided that she wanted to put something on her blog about it.

Parents can do all the teaching they can and prepare all their children boy/girl to serve a mission but it ultimately needs to be that childs decision. Forcing or guilting them into it usually doesn't turn out the best. I can think of alot of parents that I know taught their children right and prepared them their whole lives to serve a mission and the children chose not to go. I don't blame the parents for not preparing them it was a decision of the childs and the parents supported them. Those children didn't turn out to be bad people they are wonderful responsible adults. I am sure the parents were sad but a mission is not for everbody and they understood that.
As a parent you hope and pray that they choose the mission but if they don't you support them with what they decide to do.
I as a parent hope and pray that my boys/girl will go on missions but if they choose not to I will support them in what they want to do.